Monday, May 4, 2009

Individual Blog Post #3

word count: 301

For my whole soccer career, I have had men as my soccer coaches. I have learned over the years that as well as they may understand the game of soccer-when it comes down to women issues these coaches try to avoid them as much as possible. Women are sensitive, hormonal and don't take getting yelled at very well. Men just tend to forget that women need to be coached differently than men.

I know on my team, it is hilarious to watch our coaches walk around the subject of menstrual cycles-or anything of that matter. Men just seem to not handle that kind of stuff well. I have had several different male coaches handle this situations differently and they have all made me chuckle.

In high school,  during my senior year, we had a new coach come in.  He was young in his mid twenties and was taking on the job of coaching 18 girls.  I will never forget his speech he gave to us on the first day of practice.  He simply stated "I know you woman have that once a month thing and I would rather there be no talk on it. Just deal with it." It was so funny because he was so uncomfortable with that subject matter that he figured he could get it all out on the first day of practice and it would be done.  Little did he know that by the next day a girl on our team was yelling for a tampon.

The male coaches I have had have always been so funny when coaching women. Perhaps men need to get a little more on their softer side and open up to talk about this kind of stuff. No need to put up a tough wall. We are all human here.

No comments:

Post a Comment