Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Journal Writing #1 – My Favorite Writing

Emily Belding

Mcom 100W- MW 1:30

Journal Writing #1

Word Count: 311

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that had made all the difference.

Source: http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/robert_frost/poems/528
Author: Robert Frost
Title: The Road Not Taken

This poem is one of my favorite pieces of writing of all time. Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets and his writing is so inspiring. Frost writes in a way that makes you dig deep into the lines of his poetry to unviel the meaning. Everytime I have read this piece I have always got something new out of it. His writing is so beautifully written in a way that makes the reader feel something. When a writer can allow their audience to feel, imagine, inspire and provide emotion it is usually because of the effect of good writing. The Road Not Taken is a poem about not following, where others have led but instead going down the path that you chose in life. Their are so many great lessons within the lines of this poem and it truly is one of my most favorite pieces of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment