Sunday, March 22, 2009

Word of the Week #7- 3/15/2009

Emily Belding

Mcom 100W M/W 1:30

Word of the Week #7


Word: oscillate


Source
: I read this word in Indigenous Peoples, Ethnic Groups, and the State by David Maybury. It was reading homework for my Anthropology 146 class.


How it was used
: The weather oscillates between the furnace heat of the dry season and the lashing rains of the wet, when saturated rocks glow red against the lush grasses.


Definition
: Oscillate- intr. v.

1. to swing back and forth with a steady, uninterrupted rhythm.

2. to waver, as between conflicting opinions or courses of action.

3. to vary between alternate extremes, usually within a definable period of time.


My Sentence
:

When my family got lost camping,
my uncle took the compass and examined the needle, which after a few oscillations, took up a fixed position.

No comments:

Post a Comment